Italian raviolis have been dated back to the 14th Century, and are a household staple for many of those in Italy. For this recipe, I was planning on making the pasta from scratch, but later realized that I couldn't because I didn't have a pasta machine to make it from. So, I was able to purchase pasta sheets from a local Italian market. I also got fresh ricotta and parmesan from the market, which was very delicious. The filling consisted of ricotta cheese, grated parmesan cheese, egg, and parsley. It was easy to make, but the hard part came when I actually had to create the raviolis. I laid one piece of the pasta sheets down, placed mounds of the cheese filling a few inches apart from each other, and then placed another sheet on top of that. After, I had to seal the pasta, and cut them into squares. Let me put it this way -- I don't think I will be making homemade ravioli again anytime soon. In the end, it was delicious, but it took over an hour and a half just to fill and cut the raviolis. I would rate this recipe a 10/10. Below are photos of the raviolis...
St. Joseph's
Zeppoles:
In Italy, for the feast of San Giuseppe (St. Joseph's Day), every Italian household makes its version of St. Joseph's Cakes, or Zeppole. These "cakes", which are very similar to cream puffs, were relatively easy to make. The pastry consists of water, butter, sugar, flour, and eggs -- simple! On the other hand, the filling was not as easy. It contained flour, sugar, cornstarch, milk, vanilla extract, and egg yolk. The ingredients themselves weren't difficult, but the process to make the filling/custard was lengthy. I had to use a double-boiler, which is why the custard took so long to thicken. After, it took about 2 hours to completely chill. All in all, I would rate this recipe a 7 out of 10. Here are some pictures!
In Italy, for the feast of San Giuseppe (St. Joseph's Day), every Italian household makes its version of St. Joseph's Cakes, or Zeppole. These "cakes", which are very similar to cream puffs, were relatively easy to make. The pastry consists of water, butter, sugar, flour, and eggs -- simple! On the other hand, the filling was not as easy. It contained flour, sugar, cornstarch, milk, vanilla extract, and egg yolk. The ingredients themselves weren't difficult, but the process to make the filling/custard was lengthy. I had to use a double-boiler, which is why the custard took so long to thicken. After, it took about 2 hours to completely chill. All in all, I would rate this recipe a 7 out of 10. Here are some pictures!


I can't wait for you to make us lunch!
ReplyDeleteHow do you seal the Raviolis? Do you just have to put enough pressure on them or is there a special process that you have to follow? Do any of your other recipes have filling inside of them? If they do, you may want to think of something else to make because it sounds like you don't enjoy making food with stuff inside of it.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is really cool. I think its really interesting how you are doing food from all seven continents, as it adds a variety to the different things you are cooking and making. I was wondering what goes behind the rating of the different foods. Is it the ease of cooking, quality of food, time input, or just an overall evaluation of the food?
ReplyDelete