Home

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Getting Started


When I was first presented with this 6-week-long project, I was clueless as to what I could possibly have as my topic. I have multiple hobbies, but none that I would consider as a “passion”, which is why I found it extremely difficult to even come up with one topic that I would want to explore deeper. I started with the obvious… soccer – but there was really no way I could expand on that idea. That’s when I decided to delve into the arts. Painting techniques, photography, and music were just a few of the topics that I had started to consider. But that is when I thought beyond creative arts and came up with the idea of the culinary arts. I have always been a big fan of cooking, ever since I was little. I started as just a young kid, helping my mom with the small things, like measuring, pouring, the typical things that you’re assigned to as a 7-year-old. As I got older, I got more adventurous, taking on more complicated recipes by myself. Although, I never expanded onto international food/recipes. That is when I got the idea to explore cooking all around the world. Food is something that connects each and every country all across the globe. I plan on exploring recipes from different countries throughout Europe over the next 7 weeks. Each week, I will choose two dishes from varying countries that specifically have cultural significance.

After researching countries that are well-known for their cuisine, I have created a timeline of which country’s food I will be exploring each week. Here it is:
Week 1: Italy
Week 2: France
Week 3: Germany
Week 4: Greece
Week 5: Belgium
Week 6: Switzerland
Week 7: Poland

At the end of this process, I plan on having a better understanding of the cuisine that is found across Europe, as well as an improved appreciation for the every-day food that I eat here in the United States. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Brainstorming for this project was difficult for me too. Similar to you, I don't really have any real hobbies (unless binge-watching Netflix counts), and I couldn't really expand on dance. Focusing on a different culture each week is such a cool idea, and it sounds like it'll be really fun. Also, you don't have to answer, but I was just wondering why it was you chose those specific countries as the ones you wanted to focus on. Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, shots fired about soccer (that's what I did my project on). I find it interesting that you chose Ireland as one of your cuisines, as I had never really heard of Ireland having a unique food culture. Did you choose it because you have some sort of Irish heritage or simply because you like the food from there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose Ireland partially because I do have a little bit of Irish heritage. But, there are also many traditional Irish dishes that are made to celebrate holidays such as St. Patrick's Day, which I thought would be cool to explore.

      Delete