Home

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Interview!

For my interview, I had to opportunity to talk to Manju Malhi, via e-mail. Malhi is British chef, who specializes in Anglo-Indian cuisine, and is currently living in London. She has won multiple cooking competitions, including a BBC “Food and Drink” programme with Antony Worrall Thompson. Malhi had her own cooking show, Manju’s Simply Indian series, which aired on the Taste Network in 2001. This was followed by the publishing of her award winning book, Brit Spice (which was published by Penguin Books in 2002!). Manju Malhi has also published two other books (India with Passion and Easy Indian Cookbook), and is working on a 40-part series on British food right now. Additionally, she writes for newspaper and magazines on Indian food.

Check out her website! http://www.manjumalhi.com/


Below is my interview...



1. When did you know you wanted to become a chef?
I knew when I was looking for an easy to follow cookbook with a few simple recipes which I couldn’t find so I decided to write one. But I needed to get a publisher so entered a competition for a BBC show asking entrants to cook an innovative recipe and send the video to them. To cut a long story short, I won the competition, sent off my cooking showreel to several agents and then got the agent to publish my first book Brit Spice which was combining spices with everyday British ingredients.

2. What is your favorite type of cuisine? Why?
I think it would have to be Indian cuisine which I’m known for preparing in the west but in India, I’m known for preparing British food as I had a series broadcast to over 800 million people showing how to prepare simple dishes. I do like all kinds of cuisines but I love experimenting with unusual flavours.

3. What are your specialties as a chef?
My specialties as a chef are modern contemporary Indian cuisine. Simple foods with spice. Okra is my favourite vegetable dish - lightly sautéed with onions and brown mustard seeds.

4. What are your favorite foods to cook with?
My favourite foods are fish and vegetables with various spices.

5. Would you describe your food as a form of "art"? If so, how?
I suppose I try to create good food using good ingredients - so I’d like to think that my food is an art if people enjoy it and relish the flavours.

6. What makes your dishes different than others? What makes them special?
I try and think out of the culinary box as much as possible whenever I can to seek new flavours that people would enjoy and that the novice cook would be able to recreate simply and easily.

7. How would you say your food/cuisine differs from those in other countries around you?
I make the dishes different by adding spice combinations which work really well and following the aromatic notes of each spice and how they bring out the flavours of other ingredients. Living in the UK has made me realise that global foods are widely and easily available - any ingredient or any spice can be found. It’s like living in a harmonious culinary community.

No comments:

Post a Comment